Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Turn of Phrase - What Not to Yell When a Great White Shark Is Chasing Someone Nearby

A great white shark trailing a kayaker 150 yards
off the coast of Cape Cod on Saturday.

"I didn't want to just yell, 'Shark, shark,' and scare people. But when I saw the fin following the kayaker, I began yelling and waving my paddle."

- From experienced surfer and paddle-boarder Dana Richardson, who initially hoped to avoid terrifying beachgoers when he spotted a 14-foot great white shark trailing close behind a nearby kayaker off the coast of Cape Cod. 

Here are ten other things that wouldn't be helpful to yell when a great white shark is chasing someone nearby.
  1. Don't worry. He's more afraid of you than you are of him!
  2. You distract him. I'll go for help!
  3. Just back away slowly!
  4. Try paddling in a zig-zag pattern!
  5. Good news - studies show humans are more dangerous to great whites than they are to us!
  6. Spread your arms and try to look large!
  7. Holy shit! That's a keeper!
  8. Whatever you do, don't make eye contact!
  9. I think you're going to need a bigger boat!
  10. Best of luck, buddy!
FYI - According to CBS News (clip below), on the same day as the Cape Cod shark sighting, a great white took a bite out of a kayak near Santa Cruz, CA. Personally, I'm thinking conspiracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment