Thursday, July 19, 2012

Top Tweets - Breaking Up With Chick-Fil-A

I love Chick-Fil-A sandwiches so much it's sinful.

Not like you love your spouse, and not the way you love your friends or family. I mean...it's more than that.

I'm talking about an intense fiery burning love. A deep unfathomable love, the kind of love that literally grafts itself on to your heart. Immaculate, unshakeable, preternatural love. 

I love Chick-Fil-A sandwiches like Westboro Baptist loves hate, like Kardashians love the NBA, like Rush Limbaugh loves the sound of his own voice.

I love those buttery buns and peppery chicken filets (and on occasion those fried-to-perfection 12-piece nuggets with honey mustard dipping sauce) so much it hurts. Like kittens love catnip, like flowers love rain, like God so loved the world. That's how much.

And that's why breaking up with Chick-Fil-A is hard to do (congrats Neil Sedaka - you were right).

In light of remarks made by Chick-Fil-A president Dan Cathy this week, I can no longer stick my head in the sand. I must acknowledge that some of the money I spend at Chick-Fil-A supports people and organizations who believe I am less.

I must say goodbye, Chick-Fil-A. So long my beautiful sandwich, I'll miss you.

In these first difficult days after my split from Chick-Fil-A, I know Twitter will be there to comfort me and make me smile. Here are a few favorite Tweets so far.

8 comments:

  1. We ditched Chick-Fil-A a while back for this very reason. Easy enough, of course, since there's only one location in our state (and it's far away), but we were about to drive down to Florida for a week-long visit and had been planning to stop at a Chick-Fil-A along the way.

    Happily, this wasn't a tough decision at all because there are so many approximate alternatives. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea - Thanks for the comment. It wasn't a tough decision because there are also no Chick Fil A restaurants close to me. Have to disagree on the "approximate alternatives" though - it's the best chicken sandwich ever. Oh great, now I'm all sad again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that's true, but surely there are other delicious foods that can provide you with an equally satisfying experience? LOL

    Anyway, I think you know what I meant by that comment. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry, we gave it up last year, and I have still slipped twice, OMG it's the greatest thing on earth to eat, if someone could just duplicate the process, and not hate people, I'd be a loyal customer for life, I ramble, ramble, I want it so badly.......but no more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think a couple of slip ups a year might be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As long as you're wearing a trenchcoat and sunglasses!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Selene - I'm thinking airports might be the biggest challenge to my Chick-Fil-A resistance. At least if I give in, there's a good chance I'll be in a strange town where no one knows me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do realize that Chick-Fil-A has expanded exponentially and grown in popularity since this silly attempt to call Christianity "hateful"?
    Most locations have car lines in the morning and there are no shortage of people trying to obtain franchises.
    Believing "homosexual marriage" is artificial and/or non-existent is a right under the First Amendment of the Constitution, just as believing Christians are hateful is a personal right.
    We ALL have to accept and let people be who they are.

    ReplyDelete