Thursday, March 7, 2013

Thursday's Children: Never Kick the Habit

Posted by: Jeff McKown

Thursday's Children is a weekly blog hop where writers come together to talk about what inspires them. I'm participating today and you can too. 

A link to other Thursday's Children writers is at the end of the post.

Thanks to Rhiann Wynn Nolet for orchestrating this affair.


Writing fiction is a lonely and foolish obsession. Finding one's voice, twisting and manipulating language to tell a compelling story, developing characters, teasing out story arcs, building tension.

Reading it, hating it, re-writing it, and hating it only a little less.

The act of creating something from nothing and crafting it to be as good as you know it can be is alternately discouraging, tedium-inducing, and brain-frying. But enough with the good news.

The worst aspect of nursing a hardcore writing addiction is knowing that some people make a living doing it. Some authors are actually compensated for the hard time they do in the vocabulary salt mines, and knowing that a small percentage of writers are paid to pursue their obsession makes it that much harder for the rest of us to quit. Imagine how much more difficult it would be for a junkie to give up heroin, if being a smack addict was a respectable paying job.

My chances of earning an honest wage as a fiction writer are in the same ballpark as my odds of scoring a winning Powerball ticket, and yet, I keep going. I write because certain stories deserve to be told (or maybe because I need to tell certain stories), and because not writing leaves me bloated and full of words that should have been shared. I write because not writing feels like leaving the dock just before the ship comes in. Not writing, for me, is wrong.

Those are my truths, though I must confess, I haven't been entirely honest with you. When I said the worst part of writing is knowing some people make a living at it, I lied.

The worst part of writing, or creating art of any kind I imagine, is committing hours and hours and hours of your life to a project, and still thinking it sucks. When that happens, and if you're a writer it will, the urge to give up on writing will be strong. You'll be tempted to burn your copy of Stephen King's On Writing and hurl your laptop out the window. Don't do it.

A few weeks ago, just as I was drowning in disappointment over the absence of literary sparkle in my current work-in-progress, an inspiring video from NPR's Ira Glass came to my rescue.

The clip is short and you can watch it here, but if you don't have three minutes to spare, the gist of Ira's advice is this: Everyone sucked when they first started. Create as much as you can, and the quality of your work will improve.

So, there you go. If you're saddled with a writing habit that is sometimes troublesome and unrewarding, don't be discouraged, and for God's sake, don't quit. Some habits shouldn't be kicked, they should be nursed, like a tumbler of Jameson.

If you're compelled, as I am, to keep stringing words and phrases together in the hopes of someday getting it right, stay with it. Figure out the story you want to tell, and follow it wherever it leads. You won't be happy if you don't.


Click here to view other Thursday's Children blog posts, or check out Rhiann's website for more info.

12 comments:

  1. Like many writers something in me is drawn to weaving stories - and my greatest frustration is that the words often don't reflect the story I can see so clearly in my mind. But after years of angst I've learned, like you, that it's a journey. The more I write, the more I learn and hopeful the better the story gets. And there's always the dream that oneday I'll make some money too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, with 3 books under the proverbial belt, I can certainly say that I'm better now than I was when I started. Whether that makes me "good enough" remains to be seen. And of course there are those pesky outside variables like "the market". But hey, if we weren't writing we'd be addicted to something else. Possibly something even less healthy, right? Also, I love the phrase "bloated with words" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this! The funny part is, as you grow as a writer and get better at the execution, your definition of "suck" will change too. What once was engaging and good, not seems like crap. What was once crap is now unreasonable. But that also means that you're developing your sense of good vs. bad.

    You SHOULD see a little bit of suck when you look back at your old work (even something you've currently working on), because it means that you've grown a little bit in that short time.

    Next move: make it not suck.

    Thanks for joining us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Some habits shouldn't be kicked, they should be nursed, like a tumbler of Jameson." I like this very much. I think in order to succeed as an author, we all have to suck at writing in the beginning. And you're right--the key to happiness is never giving up. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Raewyn - That frustrating gap between the quality we can envision and the level we are capable of producing - that's the tough part. The Ira Glass clip is about exactly that If you haven't seen it. Worth the watch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rhiann - I have a friend who likes expensive Egyptian cotton sheets. Some people give him a hard time about it and he always says - "well, at least it's not heroin or hookers." I suppose writers can say the same (unless they also nurture heroin/hooker addictions). Thanks for the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. John - Your comment may have inspired a whole new blog post - The Evolution of Sucking. LOL. I feel like I've picked much of the low-hanging revision fruit in my current WIP, and each pass thru becomes more about pruning and shaping. At least I may be in the right tree!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kate - Re: the Jameson metaphor, I'm speaking from experience :) Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. At least with some pastimes/hobbies/loves of our lives, we can tell for sure that we suck. Like if no one eats your cooking or if that sweater you made has three sleeves or unravels completely. Gauging our writing is so much harder. But I do believe that that the more we work at it, the better we get.

    BTW, I like John's The Evolution of Sucking. That sums it up perfectly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's definitely a habit I don't want to kick. Thanks for joining us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Me neither Kristina! Come to think of it, I don't want to kick most of my habits :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chris - I'll drink to that (the ongoing evolution of sucking, that is).

    ReplyDelete