Friday, February 8, 2013

Wisdom For Creative Beginners From Ira Glass

Posted By: Jeff McKown

In a few weeks, I'll finish editing the second draft of a novel I've been writing off and on for years. As I read through my work, I stumble on a few flashes of writing competence, but just as often, I find frightful blunders that fill me with doubt and make me want to click and drag the entire novel into the trash bin.

But I won't throw it all away...

I'll see the novel through to its natural end, whatever that turns out to be, and I'll keep blogging. Partly because I understand faltering belief is part of the process, and partly because I couldn't stop writing even if I wanted to.

Ira Glass, creator and host of NPR's This American Life, shared this short piece of advice for beginning "artists" of any kind, and his words are helpful, heartfelt, and real. #HopeFightWrite

Ira Glass on Storytelling from David Shiyang Liu on Vimeo.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, this is great. Very encouraging.

    http://otherworlddiner.blogspot.com/2013/03/inspiration-from-news.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great piece of advice! Glad you liked it as much as I did Mia.

    ReplyDelete