Friday, October 26, 2012

Second Thoughts From the Wilderness

In the morning, I write in
the cabin's tiny kitchen.
Today was day four in my faraway cabin, or as those of you still intimately connected to civilization call it, Friday.

Since my first wilderness journal entry a few days ago, I've learned a few more valuable lessons and I thought I'd continue sharing them.

Note: You may want to print these journal entries. 

In the event you find yourself alone for days in an isolated northern California cabin, these critical survival tidbits will come in handy and you will no doubt be lacking a good internet connection.

Slippers. In my first entry, I noted the importance of packing socks for this journey. As it turns out, the value of socks as foot warmers has been greatly exaggerated. Two days ago, I drove to Arcata and bought some cozy fur-lined slippers.

Dishes. No matter how many plates, bowls, or cups you use during each meal, wash them only once a day. Once your hands get wet and cold, it feels like they'll never warm up again.

Baseball. I listened to the second game of the World Series on the radio. No problem with reception, but I discovered that my brain finds it much easier to focus on a radio sports broadcast when driving than when sitting alone in a room staring at nothing. On the plus side - Go Giants!

Mittens. A good idea. See issue with dishes noted above.

In the afternoon, I move
to the front porch to work.
Fire. (Update) I have tons of kindling and firewood, but ran low on the most essential element of fire starting - newspapers (you remember, those things we used to read every day before the internet came along).

Anyway, should you ever run low on starter fuel for your woodstove fire, paper towels will suffice (Bounty, jumbo roll, no design). Also, the cardboard box in which slippers are commonly packaged will burn slowly and may produce a lovely blue flame.

Walking. Yesterday I took a stroll through the forest. The redwoods and fir trees are stunning, and I can’t describe how beautiful everything smells. I stopped at least a dozen times just to look up in wonder and breathe deeply.

Writing.
… Is hard. Fits and spurts, but it’s happening.

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear your scouting skills are kicking in. and that you're taking time to smell the... redwoods. Keep on keepin' on. :)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiCRZLr9oRw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty sure the Scouts wouldn't let me in, but at least if they did, I could earn a badge or two now!

    ReplyDelete