Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Westboro Baptist Gets Stone Cold Ass-Kicking

Brick Stone "interviewing" Shirley Phelps
By now anyone who reads my blog knows that I'm helplessly obsessed with all-things Westboro Baptist Church.

Try as I might to resist commenting, there is something about lunatic religious fanatics protesting disrespectfully at the funerals of dead soldiers and gay kids that always commands my attention.

If they tweet, I'm reading it. If they protest, I'm writing about it. If they visit nearby, I'm there.

Despite my careful study, I just can't determine how to best get under their skin. Luckily, others with far more creative talent are figuring it out.

The Foo Fighters staged a masterful counter-protest in September in the form of a flatbed drive-by concert, and now comedian Dave Sirus, aka newsman Brick Stone, has found another clever way to penetrate the Phelps family. Wait, check that. To be clear, he has not penetrated any family members, only their placard wall of bullshit.

Armed with only rapier sharp sarcasm, a microphone, and regular person sanity, Brick Stone and his news team take to the sidewalk and boldly face down the zealots. As Brick's interviews with church members are essentially an unfair exercise in matching wits with the dimwitted, one almost feels sorry for the Westboro picketers. But, that passes quickly when you glimpse a nearby protester sign that reads "Soldiers Die 4 Fag Marriage."

My favorite question is one Brick poses to the husband of church leader Shirley Phelps: "What's the best part about seeing a woman cry over her dead child?"

Brick Stone gave a swift, thorough, and vulgar ass-kicking to Westboro last week outside a high school in Las Vegas, and I couldn't be more grateful to him.

Viewing Tip: Click the title bar at the top of the clip to view in a larger window.

2 comments:

  1. Brick is brilliant. I am grateful for the outlandish family of Westboro, as they have given Brick an opportunity to verbally demolish people who have no supporters. Idiots that no one wants to defend gives Brick the stage to show his hilarious talent and quick sarcasms. Great laughs had by me, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dangeroxy! (And good luck with that visa thing for your hubby)

    ReplyDelete