Thursday, October 6, 2011

God Hates iPads? Westboro to Picket Funeral

Shirley (left) and Margie (right) - Faces of Insanity
According to the insane cult wackos of the Phelps family and their Westboro Baptist Church, deceased technology pioneer Steve Jobs has gone to hell. To bring attention to Jobs' evil (and themselves), the church has announced plans to picket Jobs' funeral.

You can be certain they will raise high their patented "God Hates Fags" placards, and I'm sure they are busily wasting their limited brain power, even as I write this, thinking of horrible and kitschy Apple-specific slogans to brandish.

Margie Phelps' iPhone Tweet
Margie Phelps, who serves with her sister Shirley as an operational leader of the group, has tweeted several times - via her iPhone - that Steve Jobs "served self, not God" and "spent his days teaching sin." The Twitter community quickly noted the irony of the iPhone-generated tweets and pointed this out to Phelps who replied - "Rebels mad cuz I used iPhone to tell you Steve Jobs is in hell. God created iPhone for that purpose!"

I always thought the iPhone was heaven-sent, and thanks to Phelps' acknowledgement that God actually created the iPhone, we now have the definitive confirmation.

I don't know how to feel about the folks at Westboro, and I am not sure how one combats such unteachable stupidity, and dare I say, evil. I've ruled out the idea of driving my car on to the sidewalk during their picket and martyring the whole lot of them because I'm not prone to violence (however appropriate it may feel in my gut in this instance).

I am open to any other creative counter-protest ideas that are out there though (like the drive-by concert so perfectly executed by the Foo Fighters).

If Jobs' funeral is near Palo Alto where he lived (and about 15 minutes from where I live), I may well attend just for the opportunity to face down evil, as we celebrate the life of someone who brought so much good to the world.

3 comments:

  1. I once listened to an interview with some Phelps children (since grown and in their 20's) who wised up and left the family to live a happy life without so much hatred and they said that their family lives for any attention-- good or bad. They love to be talked about and see their names and pictures in the papers. All they want is attention. I think our best way of protesting is to forget they exist-- walk by them on the street and pretend they're invisible, let all of their tweets be sent into cyberspace ignored, etc. I think it's the best option. Maybe, and I realize the chance is slim, but maybe, without anyone acknowledging their existence, they'll just fade away into nothingness. I can dream at least. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janelle - I actually agonized about whether or not to even write this post in the first place, because I think you might be right about the publicity angle.

    We will never change these folks. They are too demented and hateful. We can only feel sorry for their children, and hope they all go away.

    In the end, despite the wisdom of the "ignore them into oblivion"strategy, my own disgust was too much motivation for me and I had to share their pathetic intentions to picket again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed. I share your disgust. It's the kind that makes you sick to your stomach. People can be really, truly disgusting sometimes. :-(

    ReplyDelete