Thursday, November 10, 2011

An Open Letter to Rioting Penn State Students

Dear Thousands of Angry Penn State Students,

I heard eight disadvantaged elementary and middle school boys were raped by one of your assistant coaches. No wonder you're so angry. I would be pissed off too. The idea of an adult man using his position of authority to take advantage of these incredibly vulnerable nine and ten year old boys sickens me. I cannot imagine how awful and horrifying it must have been for these young boys, as this grown man who they believe cares about them, sneaks into their beds at night and whispers in their ears as he fondles their genitals, or worse, sodomizes them in the shower. I think that would fuck any kid up pretty bad.

It must make you completely livid when you consider that, for many of these kids this never had to happen. I mean so many people at the university knew what happened to that one boy in the shower. If only Mike McQueary or JoePa or one of those damned administrative suits had been thinking about the kids, instead of their precious university. Did they even try to see if that one kid was okay? Did they consider that there were very likely other boys in danger? Did they think Sandusky would just stop? Or did they know other ten year-old boys were probably getting fucked by a grown man - but think it was okay as long as it wasn't in their showers? Goddammit, I am getting teary-eyed and filling with rage just thinking about it.

I know it must be tough for you, since you're so close to the situation. You must feel helpless, knowing that this could have been stopped years earlier but wasn't. You must be enraged at those who let these defenseless children down. As I think about those boys who were raped, and I imagine all the years of confusion and anxiety and fear they must have endured after being raped, the nightmares and dysfunction they probably still have today, I understand your rage. I understand why you had to show the world how fiery and passionate you are about the situation. I know why you had to break a few windows, light some shit on fire, and turn over a car or two. It's all about those boys, about the god-awful things that Jerry Sandusky did to them, it's about their pain. I get it.

I know that you hurt more deeply and poignantly than others can ever understand. I know things seem grim and hopeless and tragic. Don't worry though, it gets better. The one comfort I can offer you is that as you get older, you'll gain perspective and you'll be relieved to find out there's more to life than the narrow sliver you see now. You'll start to see into the lives of other people, folks who have it really bad, like those boys who were raped, and you'll learn to be grateful for what you have, no matter how inadequate or unsatisying it sometimes feels. You'll be relieved when you finally realize the world doesn't revolve around you, and that those things that matter so much now, things like college football, pale in comparison to what really matters in life, like caring for the safety and well-being of children.

Take care of yourselves and keep fighting the good fight.

7 comments:

  1. Damn,das ex boss. This is powerful. And so right on. Truly. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danke Spoutzie. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very well written and very powerful

    As I have watched this story unfold, I have been incredibly upset by it. I know it is impossible to change the culture in our country that begins early on of valuing sports over academic achievement, and sports do have their place. But I just cannot reconcile my anger over this cover up that put these young boys in jeopardy. It just takes one person to do the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kay. I find myself getting increasingly angry over this whole thing as well. I read the Grand Jury "Presentment" yesterday with details and statements from all 8 known victims and that really brought it home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have found it disheartening to hear some commentators, in a misplaced effort to appear balanced, remind us that it was not Joe Paterno who abused the children. People need to realize that covering up child abuse is as bad as the abuse itself. The latter cannot go on without the former.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's a real problem with hero worship out there and an alarming tendency to overlook crimes in which there normally wouldn't be a moment's hesitation to condemn if the perpetrator had been a bus driver.

    Just look at Roman Polanski: He drugged, raped and sodomized a 13 year old while he was 43. But still so many come to his defense with excuses such as "it was a long time ago" or "look at all he has gone through" and my favorite; "the victim has forgiven him." All because he makes films they like? Really?

    I think the students rioting over the supposed "unjust" firing of someone who attempted to COVER UP instances of sexual abuse, acquiescing to Penn State management, are idiots. I'm sure there are other variables to blame in this equation who are as of yet unnamed. Amazing what will get overlooked in support of idols. Remember when Vince Neil of Motley Crew killed his passenger in a DUI - related accident? Not even a slap on the wrist. I know good people who have had their records tarnished for getting pulled over and taken in after having 3 beers. Truly infuriating.

    Sadly, I know who was raped by a teacher at a college and since she was a foreign exchange student, was easily told to keep it quiet in order to make it easier on herself. The teacher was fired, but if you knew the story, he'd be doing 25-life. The victim was too scared and embarrassed to take it any further. Even her family is unaware. That teacher is still out there. Who knows how many times it's happened since then because I know he was never actually arrested.

    Michael Jackson, OJ Simpson, Charlie Sheen, Pete Townshend, et al. If any of these people had been waiting tables or working retail, there lives would have turned out much different.

    I wholeheartedly agree with the previous poster, the cover up is just as bad as the abuse.

    ReplyDelete