Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Manuscript Peep Show

A quick blog post for my writer friends.

My Twitter pal Nat Russo recently tagged me into Melanie Sokol's Manuscript Peep Show.

To recap the rules:

1. Go to the 77th page of your work-in-progress
2. Count down 7 lines
3. Share the 7 lines that follow

My contribution is an excerpt from the second draft of my novel-in-progress.


June was anxious to seize any opportunity to escape a McCory holiday gathering, but she didn't want to appear too eager. The legend of our Orphan’s Thanksgivings permeated the family consciousness, and I believed each of my aunts, uncles, and cousins secretly longed to enjoy turkey dinner at our house. Compared to hours of drunk Seamus spouting nonsense or sober Doris spouting bible verses, our long afternoons of tryptophan-induced napping and quiet evenings of riverfront wine-sipping had to sound like heaven.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a writer friend, but I peeped anyway. It occurred to me that although I've heard many passages from the book, this is the first I've read. The words are infused with your voice (and that's a very good thing :)). I can't wait to read what precedes and follows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll be among the first to read the rest Kyle!

    ReplyDelete