Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Turn of Phrase - So Long, Peyton

Peyton Manning, Colts #18
"As I go, I go with just a few words left to say, a few words I want to address to Colts fans everywhere - thank you from the bottom of my heart...I truly have enjoyed being your quarterback."

- From Peyton Manning's parting remarks to the Indianapolis Colts.

Peyton's conduct during today's farewell press conference is an object lesson in staying classy.

As I watched Manning's emotional address, and I listened to the sincere message of thanks he sent to his former boss, his teammates, the Colts organization, and to millions of fans across the country, I realized that loyalty is not dead in sports. It's just not always a two-way street.

During his comments, Peyton talked about respect, reflection, and gratitude, all of which are among the thoughtful traits he brings to the sport of football. He also reminded us of the value of maintaining perspective, and he specifically mentioned the importance of remembering the victims of recent tornado devastation in Indiana and the midwest.

There may not be crying in baseball, but after seeing Peyton deliver his final words as a Colt today, there's definitely crying in football and not too many dry eyes in the house.

2 comments:

  1. The sports world could use a few more people like him. Hell, a lot more people like him. He is the kind of person who should be elevated and respected by children and adults alike. I can't imagine how he got through that w/o becoming a blubbering mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny - Agreed. I took it as a reminder for myself to try and take the high road more often. Although, it's arguably a hard thing to do sometimes, especially online.

    As I read on Twitter today - "if you dont have something nice to say, welcome to the internet."

    Welcome to commenting, by the way.

    ReplyDelete