Monday, December 19, 2011

Turn Up the Sound - Moved By the Spirit

I'm feeling quite spiritual today, not because it's the week before Christmas, but because I buried a friend this morning.

I've been thinking about how to pay tribute to my friend, and I decided to start by sharing a song to honor his memory.

As I was listening to iTunes and thinking about which song to choose, I read on the internet that San Francisco businessman and philanthropist Warren Hellman had also died. Hellman, among other ventures, founded the free Hardly Strictly Bluegrass concert which takes place in Golden Gate Park each year. 

I found a song that perfectly fits my spiritual mood, pays tribute to Hellman's commitment to bluegrass music, and most importantly, honors my friend. 

The song is "Down to the River to Pray" and this version, performed beautifully by bluegrass chanteuse Alison Krauss, was featured in the film "O' Brother Where Art Thou."

I am not a religious man, but if I were, we'd sing songs like this at my church. 

This one is for Scott.


2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your friend, but you selected an excellent song to pay tribute to him. I'd come to your church to hear this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cindy. You could even sing along :)

    ReplyDelete