Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Unf*ckingbelievable

Borders Corporate Office (Ann Arbor, MI)
I had to think long and hard about the title of this post. I think I nailed it.

Borders executives are in court once more seeking management "bonuses."  Apparently, while the vast majority of Borders team members will close the doors to their stores for the last time in the next two weeks and then go home empty-handed, the remaining company leaders are hoping for one last $2 million suckle at the bankruptcy teat.

I have nothing against any of these folks, but this really is American business at its worst. The well-to-do, who have always had the benefit of making up the rules to the game, are able to make one final attempt at strengthening their (arguably undeserved) parachutes, while the thousands of tenured regular guys and gals, who worked just as hard and cared just as much, get nothing more than a final paycheck and an empty expression of gratitude from the company they built.

Read it in this PW article and weep, or shake your fists in fury (or just enjoy a lemon drop martini and let it go).

5 comments:

  1. Well said, Jeff. Bankruptcy should mean nobody wins -- it is the ultimate loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Dan - Thanks for the comment. Hope things are going well in your new gig!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have so many angry thoughts, I don't even know what to say. I shouldn't be spending so much emotional currency on it but boy, I would just love to post something publicly (aa.com, linkedIn, etc) about the antics of the two forenamed VPs in this article.

    ReplyDelete
  4. clearly I need more zen in my life...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Jenny - I don't think any of us want to be bitter or angry about all of this, but it's tough. We all lost something we really loved, and when you add what we can only perceive as grotesque injustice (from our vantage points)to the mix, it's hard not to take it a little personal. Your Zen will come, and until then, try the lemon drop martini.

    ReplyDelete