Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Turn Up the Sound - Salif Keita

I'll be posting the occasional song/video for your listening pleasure. No specific theme...just whatever strikes my fancy that I hope will strike yours.

QUESTION: What happens when African beats crash headlong into the French language (as well as Portuguese and a couple of other languages)? What happens when the strength that is Salif Keita joins forces with the power that is Cesaria Evora?

ANSWER: Yamore

I have a very hard time trying to figure out exactly what emotions this song invokes in me. It might be sadness or devastation or triumph. I don't know what I feel when I hear it (beyond gratitude for being able to listen to it). I would love to hear what it makes you think about or how it makes you feel. Viewing Tip: Click on the title bar at the top of the clip to open the video in a larger YouTube window.

No comments:

Post a Comment