Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Baseball, Enough Already

NPR's Frank Deford is right on time (and right on the mark) with his plea to Major League Baseball to shorten the season by about a month. I enjoy baseball as much as the next person, which is to say about three innings in one sitting if I'm watching a game on television, or with a couple of hot dogs and a few giant beers if I'm attending a game in person. For the love of Wrigley Field though, 162 games in a season is ridiculous! Baseball is clearly less physically demanding on its players than other major sports, but they don't need to drag the regular season out forever just because they can.


I agree with Deford in the article linked below - end the regular season around Labor Day and get all the way through the playoffs in September. I'm ready for some football!

Too Many Days Hath September

2 comments:

  1. yup - heard that this morning and I'm a fan of the idea. although I just don't see the 'powers that be' in baseball agreeing. they'd lose money, and that's the end of the conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point, Jane. America's actual favorite pastime (making money) supersedes America's pretend favorite pastime (baseball).

    ReplyDelete